Friday May 3rd
This was a day off the bikes. We
slept in until 8 and then went to breakfast at the hotel. Every hotel has given
us breakfast, some better than others. This is a large intercity hotel and the
breakfast was great.
Our leader, who used to live here,
met us at 9 for walking tour of the city.. I felt pretty good this morning but
Jan was still not feeling too good. I went with out her.
This city is very interesting. As
the center of the Inca kingdom it all started here. There are fountains, plazas,
huge murals and statues of Inca accomplishments. The Spanish conquered in 1535
and things were never the same. Even though whole power structure since then
has been of Spanish decent Peruvians do not really like the Spanish. All the
designs have a heavy Inca influence and represent their Gods and idols. The
Spanish took many of the Inca palaces and temples, put bell towers on them and
called them churches which they remain today. The more amazing stonework was
done. Huge blocks are perfectly joined with no cracks between them and no
mortar was used. They have held up for over 700 years through weather and
earthquakes. The block I am standing by has 12 corners
This is real tourist destination.
There are tourists everywhere from everywhere and all the vendors that follow
them including street venders and cute Peruvian women and girls with their lamas.
You can take their photo for one sol; about 40 cents.


Our tour group had a good lunch and
I ate something substantial for the first time in 4 days. I went back to the
hotel and Jan was feeling better too. Her outlook on this trip is improving. We
took a bus tour of the city and then ate dinner and she ate some real food too.
I think we are back in form.
Tomorrow we have our first of two
days heading east to our Amazon jungle camp. Our leader (and this tour company)
has never been on this road. It should be interesting.








No comments:
Post a Comment